skip to Main Content
Relief Of The Annunciation

Relief of The Annunciation

Relief of The Anunciation

Relief of The Anunciation

It may be a surprise to learn that the depiction of The Annunciation, which adorns the South wall of the church has only been there since 1954. Previously it belonged to Dr Willett Cunningham. As a child, his daughter, Susan Luckham (whose husband with Stanley Hills was instrumental in building both our surgery and museum) remembers it in their home in Finchley. Later, when her parents retired to Mersea, it hung over the fireplace in the hallway of ‘The Nothe’ at the very end of Coast Road. Prompted by the high tide entering their home during the East Coast floods in 1953, the family moved to higher ground. It was then that Susan’s father felt that ‘The Annunciation’ should have a permanent home in the Church.

The Annunciation relief in its previous home above the fireplace in the home of Dr Willett Cunningham, ‘The Nothe’, at the very end of  Coast Road:

The relief in its original position

The relief in its original position

Pictures and words from West Mersea Parish Magazine courtesy of Pat Kirby, Mersea Museum

Back To Top