The Friends of West Mersea Parish Church, which has now been raising funds for over 5 years to help the PCC with the preservation of this ancient building, is in danger of dissolution if it fails to recruit new people to take on important roles in its committee.
It needs to find people to take on the roles of Treasurer, Secretary and Administrator which have become vacant as a result of Charity Commission rules which prevent the current occupiers of these posts from serving more than a 5-year term.
John May, former Mayor of West Mersea and our group’s Chairman, writes:
“It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to continue operating without these roles being filled at our AGM on 21st November, 2016.
Our Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul has been at the centre of the community for over 900 years. Its architectural and historical importance has been recognised by English Heritage who has deemed the church a Grade 1 listed building for many years.
Since our formation in 2011 we have raised over £60,000 from subscriptions and fund-raising events and have been able to sponsor over £36,000 worth of essential maintenance and improvement works with a further £20,000 committed to major redecoration of the church interior due to commence next Spring. We have also produced many wonderful musical and other events which have been a major addition to the cultural richness of our local community as well as revealing the interior of this lovely building to some people for the very first time.
It would be a terrible shame for the charity to collapse after over five years of fundraising. Whilst we have got to the point where the church is in reasonable repair there will always be a need for general maintenance and the possibility of a major project in the future.
None of these roles are onerous or particularly time consuming and retiring officers are happy to support newcomers.”
If anyone would like to offer to fill one of these vacant positions or would like further information they can contact John May on 01206 382799 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUTLINE OF OFFICERS’ ROLES
Honorary officer – Secretary
- The role as secretary involves taking the minutes at committee meetings, typing them up and distributing them to the committee members by email.
- Prepare the agenda for the meetings after consultation with the Chairman and other committee members by email.
- Arrange the venue for the meeting, usually the Parish Hall.
- Occasionally write letters of thanks after events or if we receive a significant donation. We have between 3 and 4 meetings per year plus an AGM.
- Estimated time commitment per meeting for the role is approximately 5 hours – 1 hour preparing agenda and notifying committee members, 2 hours at the meeting, 2 hours typing minutes and distribution. The time commitment in a year is approximately 25 hours.
- Mobile Phone minder (hardly ever rings).
Responsibilities of Hon Treasurer
- Bank cash receipts from subscriptions, donations, events and other sources.
- Maintain cash float for events.
- Settle payments to performers, suppliers and contractors for goods and services supplied.
- Reimburse committee members for out of pocket expenses.
- Make capital payments as approved by Committee to Parish Church Council or direct to contractors.
- Monitor all receipts and expenditure and reconcile against Bank Statement.
- Monitor Barclaycard payments for supplies.
- Make arrangements for investment of any monies not immediately required. * (see below)
- Prepare Gift Aid Claim for submission to HMRC.
- Prepare regular Income and Expenditure Report for Committee Meetings.
- Submit Annual Financial Report to Independent Examiner for approval.
- Prepare Annual Financial Report for AGM.
- Complete Annual Return to Charity Commission.
Apart from an hour or so after each event, I do probably not more than two or three hours every few months (prior to meetings). The exception is possibly several hours finding my way around Govt websites. But having done so, it is generally a piece of cake. I would of course pass it on to my successor.
Key skills are spreadsheet and finding your way around the internet. Business experience is probably essential.
- This role could be done by one person or divided as suggested below.
- Event Manager for twice yearly concerts (Could be two people)
- Events Brochure – produced annually and updated as necessary.
- Arrange distribution, currently Barbara Carswell
- Posters – produce and arrange distribution
- Tickets – produce and arrange distribution to sellers including Marfleets and/or Myrtle & Rose.
- Monitor sales